I am obsessed with Meryl Streep! Then again who isn't. She is one of the best actresses in our industry. I am also obsessed with Anne Hathaway. Who doesn't love The Princess Diaries with her and Julie Andrews? Don't even get me started on her Oscar turn as Fantine is Les Miserables.
Who knew when The Devil Wears Prada opened in theaters ten years ago that it would clobber Superman Returns at the box office in 2006. Miranda Priestly, fashion and a good old-fashioned love story would prevail in the end.
The film focused on a young woman, who while on the quest to find a job as a journalist ends up at a fashion magazine. She ultimately becomes the assistant to the most powerful fashion editor in the world and that job changes her forever.
It kinda reminded me of a more up to date version of another one of my favorite films Working Girl. i even had the pleasure of Guest Starring on an ABC monster hit Ugly Betty, which although was an American reboot of a Spanish show, still had that 'Devil Wears Prada' motif going on...not to mention they had Tony and Emmy nominee Vanessa Williams to pull in those viewers.
Not only did the film mark the film debut of Emily Blunt, but it catapulted her and Anne Hathaway into superstardom. Stanley Tucci was no slouch either.
So for those who are all too familiar with this classic...here are some things you may not know about The Devil Wears Prada...
- Meryl Streep was ready to walk over her the low salary offer. When it was doubled, she found a way grab that silver hair and keep it moving. Can you even imagine anyone else as Miranda? I think not
- As badly as Anne Hathaway wanted this role, the first choice was Rachel McAdams. I love Rachel, but Andy was meant for Anne
- Meryl changed what would become one of the best lines of the Film. During their table read, Meryl said, "Everybody wants to be us," instead of "Everybody wants to be me."
- Emily was supposed to be American. The director loved Blunt's accent so much, they made her character British
- Stanley Tucci met his real-life wife at Emily Blunt's wedding. Isn't that fantabulous!!!
- There was NO second choice considered for Miranda Priestly. How you even gonna let second choice fall from you lips when you have freaking Meryl Streep!!! I'm just saying!
Take a look back at the trailer for The Devil Wears Prada...